All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: nobbys lazy advice
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:12 pm 

http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en/ads/ Oh, cheers. Don't you think I've already read their site, you fucking twit.

Post subject: Re: nobbys lazy advice
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:24 pm 

What Mos fails to mention is, he was so lame he sent Shy to ask me "do you know anything about Adwords" to which i replied Yes.

If you want a specific answer, ask a specific question, and come ask yourself, you're not on the school playground now.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:53 am 

She's very heavy on confidentiality. I've asked her for your mail in the past and she's not budged. Is this how you help people on WinMX? Just link them to some shite guide that someone else wrote.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:39 pm 

Actually the link was extra.

The question was "do you know anything about Adwords"

My answer was: Yes

I gave the link as an extra, cause im nice like that. Rather than waste time slagging me off Mos, is there a more specific question you wanted to ask? Or shall i just assume this thread will just turn into another of your obsessive tributes to me?

In the past i have helped many users on Winmx, some via forum, some via email, some via forum pm, some via msn, some via yahoo, and on occasion by phone, but if the answer to their issue is easily solved with a hyperlink to a specific page then so be it.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:32 pm 

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 10:34:25 +0100
>> To: [edited for privacy] shy kitty's email
>> Subject: Re: your new pw
>> From: mos.def@hush.ai
<What's the best techniques for advertising a product/service with
>google adwords. Should you use google and overture (yahoo
<marketing) What strategies can be used to gain the most click
>through rates?

There's a specific fucking question. How about you ring me, Nobby? Let's discuss this one.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:34 pm 

Mos.Def wrote:
On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 10:34:25 +0100
>> To: [edited for privacy] shy kitty's email
>> Subject: Re: your new pw
>> From: mos.def@hush.ai
<What's the best techniques for advertising a product/service with
>google adwords. Should you use google and overture (yahoo
<marketing) What strategies can be used to gain the most click
>through rates?

There's a specific fucking question. How about you ring me, Nobby? Let's discuss this one.

Actually, its not that specific, as deciding on a marketing technique would all depend on what you are marketing. There is little point in paying £1.00 per click for a product that produces a profit less that that. It will also depend on the competition levels you would be up against. Your time frame and the life of your product is also a consideration, for example if you are willing to pay for short term sales and are happy to acccept lower profits then ppc might be for you, if however you are willing to wait a while and take a medium/long term approach then i would push efforts into developing the site content and SEO, both onsite and off.

As a general rule, i personally tend to veer away from PPC as i have yet to have success with it, when compared to targeting organic listings. I have run a few small adwords campaigns setting very low monthly limits (around £50), and targeting more niche keywords to avoid the competition, this allowed some sales to start while i worked on the organic listings. Once high organic positions were achieved i binned the PPC.

Google has the market share of the searches, so i see little or no point spending money with Yahoo or any of the other services.

As for improving the CTR, you will need to experiment with the text, again it depends on the products you are trying to sell.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:06 pm 

What's being advertised are services. Things like care agencies, recruitment businesses focusing on call centre and retail markets. Also, third sector learning centres to help unemployed people in deprived areas find work by offering government funded courses, qualifications, CV and Interview help etc.

Thoughts?

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:15 pm 

Can you give me an idea of a few keywords you would consider targeting, i am presuming care agency might be one? can you give me couple to look at?

How is the business set up, are you simply offering these agencies a paid directory listing on one main site?

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:32 pm 

The situation is that these companies, the care agency, recruitment service and whatnot would like to bolster their online marketing activities. Google adwords was mentioned. Words I would immediately think of would be nursing agency, domiciliary care, personal care, carers, home care. Stuff like that.

With Search Engine Optimization would you just be looking to include these words in your website content so it would cater for a decent amount of search queries? What else can you do to make your search result have higher prominence?

Also, if these words were used for GoogleAdwords would they be far too generic and get flooded out by bigger competitors who have invested heavily in bid based ppc?

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:59 pm 

A quick look at those keywords would suggest to me that the big companies are likely to rule them as you suggested. I think i would probably go after Geo-targets derivatives of your main keywords with an SEO campaign. You need to get inside the mind of those who would be searching for the services you offer, for example:

If you were looking for a nursing agency, or a home help, home carer you are more likely to use Geo terms to find local results:

Nursing agency Southampton
nursing agency Eastbourne

etc etc

These will be much easier to rank for than national terms. Google is focusing its efforts more and more on localised search results, with the lesser competative local terms you can use a Local Business Center listing (free in your google account) to get you up the top of the search results, much like an ad, but free!

Search engine optimization (SEO) has 2 elements, the onsite seo and the off site. On site is basically writing good keyword rich (but not spammy) unique content, setting up your page titles correctly and then logically interlinking relevent site pages from withing your text, not just the menus. Off site SEO will be basically link building using a variety of your keywords to give the appearance of a nice natually linking structure.

The additional benefit of SEO is that you can do alot yourself, so its time rather than money for PPC, its medium/long term but on low competition keywords fairly quick results can be seen. SEO also opens your site up to visits from long tail and unpredicted keywords. For example if you setup a PPC campaign for Nursing home Southampton, you will get your ad on results very closely matching those keywords. With Seo, you could optimize that page for a whole range of keywords based around those, often called Long tail Keywords, stuff like Nursing home near my grannies house in Southampton (just plucked that out the air, u get the idea though). Once the search engines see importance in your pages you can end up ranking for all sorts of related keywords that you might not have thought to target.