All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Why Is Music Special
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:10 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Just what the title says, someone clue me in on this "life blood" called music.

More than half of the music out there today doesn't even sound appealing.

Why isn't music just a massive waste of time and energy?

What makes music special?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:20 am 

Music means many things to many people. Some just like to tap their feet to the tune/beat, others find meaning in the lyrics, in others it can envoke a deep emotional response. Some people find it a distraction from the stress'es of everyday life, personally, i am in a manner of speaking in the music business, when im not working with it, i tend to avoid it, i would rather listen to talk radio than listen to music. That said, when i am in the right frame of mind, i will listen to music, but only to specific tracks that appeal to me at a specific time, the last track i listened too recreationally was the full version of Jeff Wayne Eve of the war. Odd thing is, i listened to that one track over a couple of times, and then went back to talk radio, i guess i'm just odd. :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:25 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Music is the auditory expression of emotion.

So a better question, Barret, might be "Why do people want to express their emotions in multiple ways?"

People express emotions verbally, physically, visually and auditorily. But why do we bother? Is there any value in expressing emotions? Surely there must be some value in it or most everyone wouldn't be doing it. Implicit in the valuation of emotional expression is the valuation of emotion itself.

Is emotion, then, valuable? Try to imagine a world without emotion. Exactly. Pandemic Stoicism might be more rational, but it certainly wouldn't be any "fun" because "fun" after all, is grounded in emotion.

So if emotion has obvious value, why would anyone want to express it? Let's ask ourselves then, what is worthy of expression? Knowledge? Truth? Doubt? Morality? Justice? While all of these are laudable to express, none of them are dependent upon emotion. In fact, they seem to need to be separated from emotion in order to have value.

Let's examine art, in general then, and its purpose. Paintings, sculpture and music are all emotional expressions, but expressions of what? Knowledge. Truth. Doubt. Morality. Justice. You can find these stoic, unemotional messages behind all art forms. All art forms contain a message.

We've already seen how a message delivered stoically can be boring and uninteresting. Adding emotion to a message, that is, adding art to the message, is what gives the message force. This is the purpose of art, and the purpose of music. Emotions are powerful. People respond to them. People have visual and auditory emotional responses. When messages about knowledge, truth, doubt, morality and justice are packaged in an emotional form, they have more force.

Music is but an emotional vehicle of expression of ideas that when expressed without emotion, wouldn't garner as much interest.

Thanks Barrett. I hadn't really considered this up until now. Why humans emotionally respond to systems of tones/beats I will leave for a later post.

Last edited by Knot4Prophet on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:23 am 
Administrator
Administrator

[color=green]You're welcome knot, it's why you keep me around I'm sure. Ha.

What about expression, even musical. why express at all? Tonally or not? I don't mean expression for the sake of communication but for emotions.

Just like the problem I find with sympathy, everyone is alone, no matter what. Completely alone in their expiriences, why the drive to shareing them
?[/color]

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:48 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Well the gist of my post is that they aren't attempting to communicate their emotions, but that they attempting to communicate knowledge, truth, morality, etc. using emotional modes of expression to add force to their message.