All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: God is good.
Unread postPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:09 am 
Advocate

Leviticus 26 1-
Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God.

Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.

If ye walk in my statutes, and keep my commandments, and do them;

Then I will give you rain in due season, and the land shall yield her increase, and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit.

So far, so good. God is Cool! He grants awards. Though I could point out that such 'awards' are explained - and proven - by natural dynamics and climatological science. Evidence that they happen without the influence of a God who demands obedience? They happen anyway and always did. Members of other religions also enjoy the benefits of a healthy and flourishing ecosystem. Anyway...on with the complete context of Leviticus 26:

And your threshing shall reach unto the vintage, and the vintage shall reach unto the sowing time: and ye shall eat your bread to the full, and dwell in your land safely.

And I will give peace in the land, and ye shall lie down, and none shall make you afraid: and I will rid evil beasts out of the land, neither shall the sword go through your land.

This all sounds wonderful to me.

And ye shall chase your enemies, and they shall fall before you by the sword.

Ooooohhh...shit...here it comes...

And five of you shall chase an hundred, and an hundred of you shall put ten thousand to flight: and your enemies shall fall before you by the sword.

This - by the way - is complete. I have not missed one verse out. Cool

For I will have respect unto you, and make you fruitful, and multiply you, and establish my covenant with you.

And ye shall eat old store, and bring forth the old because of the new.

And I will walk among you, and will be your God, and ye shall be my people.

I am the LORD your God, which brought you forth out of the land of Egypt, that ye should not be their bondmen; and I have broken the bands of your yoke, and made you go upright.

So, clear instructions then. God will bring forth a veritable bounty if we obey and follow him with total devotion. In addition to supplying us with a healthy ecosystem (which in turn brings a good harvest), God will help us slaughter our enemies. A lovely God-inspired slaughter never hurt anyone...

Now follows God's instructions if we fail to do as he bids:

But if ye will not hearken unto me, and will not do all these commandments;

I also will do this unto you; I will even appoint over you terror, consumption, and the burning ague, that shall consume the eyes, and cause sorrow of heart: and ye shall sow your seed in vain, for your enemies shall eat it.

Right...the context is becoming less and less appealing...

And I will set my face against you, and ye shall be slain before your enemies: they that hate you shall reign over you; and ye shall flee when none pursueth you.

And if ye will not yet for all this hearken unto me, then I will punish you seven times more for your sins.

Seven times more seems a bit unfair (but exceedingly clear - don't you think?).

And I will break the pride of your power; and I will make your heaven as iron, and your earth as brass:

And your strength shall be spent in vain: for your land shall not yield her increase, neither shall the trees of the land yield their fruits.

Apart from the fact that this is becoming genuinely frightening...I should add that these things happen for climatological reasons.

And if ye walk contrary unto me, and will not hearken unto me; I will bring seven times more plagues upon you according to your sins.

Out of context? The context makes it better does it? Let's see...

I will also send wild beasts among you, which shall rob you of your children, and destroy your cattle, and make you few in number; and your high ways shall be desolate.

A problem is developing with the "out of context" argument...

And if ye will not be reformed by me by these things, but will walk contrary unto me;

There is more??!!

Then will I also walk contrary unto you, and will punish you yet seven times for your sins.

Damn. He is doing that "seven-fold" thing again. People like me are in reeeeal trouble...

And I will bring a sword upon you, that shall avenge the quarrel of my covenant: and when ye are gathered together within your cities, I will send the pestilence among you; and ye shall be delivered into the hand of the enemy.

And when I have broken the staff of your bread, ten women shall bake your bread in one oven, and they shall deliver you your bread again by weight: and ye shall eat, and not be satisfied.

And if ye will not for all this hearken unto me, but walk contrary unto me;

Ah...more devilish warnings:

Then I will walk contrary unto you also in fury; and I, even I, will chastise you seven times for your sins.

And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat.

And I will destroy your high places, and cut down your images, and cast your carcases upon the carcases of your idols, and my soul shall abhor you.

And I will make your cities waste, and bring your sanctuaries unto desolation, and I will not smell the savour of your sweet odours.

Steady on...

And I will bring the land into desolation: and your enemies which dwell therein shall be astonished at it.

And I will scatter you among the heathen, and will draw out a sword after you: and your land shall be desolate, and your cities waste.

I for one am astonished, yes.

Then shall the land enjoy her sabbaths, as long as it lieth desolate, and ye be in your enemies' land; even then shall the land rest, and enjoy her sabbaths.

As long as it lieth desolate it shall rest; because it did not rest in your sabbaths, when ye dwelt upon it.

And upon them that are left alive of you I will send a faintness into their hearts in the lands of their enemies; and the sound of a shaken leaf shall chase them; and they shall flee, as fleeing from a sword; and they shall fall when none pursueth.

And they shall fall one upon another, as it were before a sword, when none pursueth: and ye shall have no power to stand before your enemies.

And ye shall perish among the heathen, and the land of your enemies shall eat you up....

ENOUGH! I found every word horribly clear. 8)

that which must not, can not be.

Morgenstern Gallow Songs

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:15 am 
Advocate

We all know the story of Noah. But why on earth did such a fantastic event happen?

According to the Bible - GE 6:11-17, 7:11-24 - it was because God killed every living thing upon the planet (except of course lucky Noah and his family).

(soon after God turns Lot's wife into a (literal??) pillar of salt! Why? Because she looked behind her as she ran away) - GE 19:26

This needs no explanation: "... whenever he lay with his brother's wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from producing offspring for his brother. What he did was wicked ..., so the Lord put him to death." - GE 38:9

In exodus, Moses commits murder upon an Egyptian. Implication for Moses? One of the greatest and most important characters in Christian history. A good guy. - EX 2:12

In EX 12:29, God kills all the first born babies in Egypt.
In EX 21:20-21 God allows the beating of slaves. If the slave dies slowly, God will not punish the guilty party.

...slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbor. - EX 32:27. THE WORD OF GOD!!

In EX 32:27-29, God appears to approve the killing of 3000 people.

I will also send wild beasts among you, which shall rob you of your children. - LE 26:22

And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat...

And thou shalt eat the fruit of thine own body, the flesh of thy sons and of thy daughters, which the LORD thy God hath given thee, in the siege, and in the straitness, wherewith thine enemies shall distress thee:

Therefore the fathers shall eat the sons in the midst of thee, and the sons shall eat their fathers; and I will execute judgments in thee, and the whole remnant of thee will I scatter into all the winds. LE 26:29, DT 28:53, EZ 5:8-10. Oh and: JE 19:9. All confirming each other.

hmmm...if you take this literally...shame on you for giving your devotion to such a devil.

In NU 11:33, God sends a great plague.

When Aaron and Miriam speak out against (that nice man) Moses in NU 12:1-10, God gives Miriam Leprosy for a week. THAT is almost childish don't you think?

In NU 15:32-36, a fellow who needs to gather firewood but does so on the Sabbath, is stoned TO DEATH on God's orders.

According to NU 16:27-33, God kills men, women and babies because they were rebellious. Under such conditions (if such a God is to be taken literally, I would rebel).

And there came out a fire from the LORD, and consumed the two hundred and fifty men that offered incense. - Numbers 16:35

According to Numbers 16:49, ...they that died in the plague were fourteen thousand and seven hundred,

And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died. - Numbers 21:6

With approval from God, Og was slayed ... and his sons and all his people, until there was not one survivor left .... - NU 21:35

Back to that splendid man, Moses: And the Lord said unto Moses, take all the heads of the people, and hang them up before the Lord against the sun ....

And he did.

He went after the man of Israel into the tent, and thrust both of them through, the man of Israel, and the woman through her belly. - NU 25:8

Nice chap. I mean that...literally.

And according to NUMBERS 25:9 God killed 24,000 people.

That arch good-guy, Moses is commanded by God to kill all male children (babies too presumably). Oh...and every woman who has known man. - NUMBERS 31:17-18

The now familiar death toll attributable to your God was, in NU 31:31-40, 32,000. All virgins. No wait...mistake. 32,000 virgins were taken but 32 are sacrificed to God. Oh well, that's alright then.

In DT 7:2, God commands the Israelites to "utterly destroy" and "show no mercy"...

When the Lord delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the males .... As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves... - DT 20:13-14

In the cities of the nations the Lord is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. - DT 20:16

According to Deuteronomy 21:10-13, God is rather perverse (this is a good label if we are to take these events literally). He approved the removal of women from the enemy camps. "Beautiful women" are preferred according to the Lord. If they fail to please the kidnappers sexually (after being forcibly married) then they should be sent away.

Then we have Joshua!

There are too many murders and atrocities attributed to Josh and his Lord (who gave frequent approval) for me to list here. Here goes anyway:

Joshua received the Lord's blessing for all the following (if we take it literally):

Joshua destroys the city of Jericho men, women, and children. He uses swords. - JS 6:21-27

Achan and his little children (and his cattle) are stoned to death. - JS 7:19-26

With the Lord's approval, Joshua kills 12,000 men and women - JS 8:22-25

With the help of the Lord, Joshua utterly destroys the Gibeonites. - JS 10:10-27

With the Lord's approval, Joshua utterly destroys the people of Makkedah. - JS 10:28

With the Lord's approval, Joshua utterly destroys the Libnahites. - JS 10:30

With the Lord's approval, Joshua utterly destroys the people of Lachish. - JS 10:32-33

With the Lord's approval, Joshua utterly destroys the Eglonites. - JS 10:34-35

With the Lord's approval, Joshua utterly destroys the Hebronites. - JS 10:36-37

With the Lord's approval, Joshua utterly destroys the Debirites. - JS 10:38-39

So Joshua defeated the whole land ...; he left none remaining, but destroyed all that breathed, as the Lord God of Israel commanded. - JS 10:40

Lovely. >:(

And the lord gave them into the hand of Israel, ...utterly destroying them; there was none left that breathed .... - JS 11:8-15

"For it was the Lord's doing to harden their hearts that they should come against Israel in battle, in order that they should be utterly destroyed, and should receive no mercy but be exterminated, as the Lord commanded Moses - JS 11:20

In JG 1:6 God approves when Judah chases Adoni-bezek and the capture of him. He then cuts off his thumbs and big toes.

And in JG 4:21 (and - as per usual - with God's permission) Jael hammers a tent peg through the head of Sisera.

Jepthah makes a vow with God, whereupon he sacrifices his daughter and only child - JG 11:29-39

God appears to 'possess' the body of a man who then kills thirty men. - JG 14:19

Just have to include this:

Behold, here are my virgin daughter and his concubine; let me bring them out now. Ravish them and do with them what seems good to you; but against this man do not do so vile a thing - JG 19:22-29

And this from JG 21:10-12 Go and smite the inhabitants of Jabesh-gilead with the edge of the sword and; also the women and little ones.... every male and every woman that has lain with a male you shall utterly destroy

And this from 1SA 15:3, 7-8 This is what the Lord says: Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have; do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass ....' And Saul ... utterly destroyed all the people with the edge of the sword

"This is what the Lord says". (Do you really take this stuff literally? And still you follow this nasty - dare I say it - EVIL God?)

In Kings, God apparently killed a man (with the use of a lion) because he ate bread and drank water at a place where God forbid the terrible sins of eating and drinking.

Later, in 2KI 2:23-24, God mutilates and kills 42 little children. Their crime? Making fun of a servant of God.

So we cooked my son and ate him. The next day I said to her, 'Give up your son so we may eat him,' but she had hidden him - 2KI 6:29

In Kings there are accounts (which according to you Tink should be taken literally and followed with devotion) of women being eaten by dogs till only their skulls and the palms of their hands remain. Hundreds of thousands (possibly millions if you do the mathematics) more are killed on God's orders and pregnant women are ripped open. Others are killed with saws and axes.

Again in Psalm 137:9, God reckons that Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

God continues to sound distinctly devil-like when he is referred to as ...the one who trains hands for war and fingers for battle

Everyone who is captured will be thrust through; all who are caught will fall by the sword. Their infants will be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their ... wives will be ravished - IS 13:15

Their bows also shall dash the young men to pieces; and they shall have no pity on the fruit of the womb; their eye shall not spare children - IS 13:18

Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers - IS 14:21-22

All according to God. (shakes head)

The Lord will cause the oppressors of the Israelite's to eat their own flesh and to become drunk on their own blood as with wine. - IS 49:26

They shall die grievous deaths; they shall not be lamented; neither shall they be buried; but they shall be as dung upon the face of the earth: and they shall be consumed by the sword, and by famine; and their carcasses shall be meat for the fowls of heaven, and for the beasts of the earth - JE 16:4

pitiful women have cooked their own children, who became their food ... - LA 4:9-10

Jesus! (excuse the pun).

God is in good, generous, kind and loving form when he says: ... they will fall by the sword, famine and plague. He that is far away will die of the plague, and he that is near will fall by the sword, and he that survives and is spared will die of famine. So will I spend my wrath upon them. And they will know I am the Lord, when the people lie slain among their idols - EZ 6:12-13

God then exclaims:... slay old men outright, young men and maidens, little children and women .... - EZ 9:4-6

God goes further when he states that: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up - HO 13:16

As if this is not enough, God thinks about the planet earth in terms of turture and mayhem: ... who pluck off their skin ..., and their flesh from off their bones; Who also eat the flesh of my people, and flay their skin from off them; and they break their bones, and chop them in pieces, as for the pot, and as flesh within the caldron. - MI 3:2-3

Some will spend eternity burning in Hell. There will be weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth. - MT 3:12, 8:12, 10:21, 13:30, 42, 22:13, 24:51, 25:30, LK 13:28, JN 5:24

I wonder who he means? Oh yes, innocents. Children, mothers, etc...

I will now stop the analysis. I am sweating. :? :? :?

Morgenstern Gallow Songs

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:44 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I notice now, for the first time, because of your juxtaposition, that the word God is contained inside the word Good. Coincidence? Doubtful. More proof that God is good.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:29 am 
Advocate

Knot4Prophet wrote:
I notice now, for the first time, because of your juxtaposition, that the word God is contained inside the word Good. Coincidence? Doubtful. More proof that God is good.

Has to be :D

Morgenstern Gallow Songs