All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Comfort of Christ
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:30 am 
Administrator
Administrator

The Comfort of Christ

There is an issue I have recently been exploring with different Christians. Many of the Christians to whom I present this scenario instantly balk at the suggestion that I am insinuating - perhaps a little too hastily. I wonder if these Christians who dismiss my claim so readily, actually do as such out of some unnerving apprehension in facing the fact that I just may be right, and if I am, the further implications of that conclusion.

Ok, ok. Enough teasing.

The simple thought experiment I asked them to undertake regards sinning.

Now we all know that Christians universally believe that we are all sinners. All of us. This doesn't even seem such a bold claim, either. Sure, we all fuck up. Now most Christians carry in their minds the omnipresent, absolutionist, comforting notion that Jesus' sacrifarce has expunged all their sins, past, present and future. All they need do is "believe" that He did actually die for them, and all that other esoteric, parablic circumlocution and other various supernatural nonsense in the Bible.

Will this affect a Christian's behaviour, though, in comparison to Joe Blow, in any substantial or meaningful way?

Let's examine this notion and consider how it may affect a person's behaviour.

*pretends he is Christian*

*proffers his garish graven image of the crucifiction, he wears as a garment, as proof of his devotion*

Now being a Christian :wink:, I am at one of those junctures in life where I know I am about to sin or not sin. Let's pick something common. Something we know is a sin for sure. Something that most all can agree is a sin. Deliberate sins being the gravest, let's say, "telling a big fat lie."

Honesty is a major tenet of Christianity's punditual practitioners of pedagogy. Consider a lie that maligns someone else or a lie to cover one's ass. We can all relate to these in one way or another, either from the receiver or provider of the dishonesty, or both. Intentionally misleading other people, i.e. being dishonest, is reviled by Christian doctrine. "Bear false witness" is a commandment. On equal commandmentual footing with murder, envy and theft. (keep that in mind, you Christians)

Ok so I, Mr. Xtian, arrive home after fucking a hooker (adultery), and proceed to tell my wife, ever so nonchalantly, some fanciful story (lie) to cover my whereabouts for the time spent on illicit lusts. Now I know that Jesus died for my sins. I go to church every Sunday. I pray. I truly believe that Jesus died for us.

And I'll believe whatever else I need to believe to be clear of any wrong-doing.

I know that I am a sinner. I know that I and everyone else will continue to sin, though hopefully less over time (sure, sure), but I can comfort myself in Christ. Do I feel guilty? Of course I do. I gave into my lusts, fucked around on my wife with some dirty whore then lied to her about it, soon to be exposing my wife to some of the deleterious effects of my behaviour, thus complicating the lie.

So there is no question, then, that this notion of Christ dying on his cross for me, ameliorates my condition - "guilt-ridden" - in a very profound way.

I know that I have done wrong. I knew that ahead of time. But also, ahead of time, I knew that Christ died for ALL sins. And I know that my Christian brethren can all agree that we're all still sinners. So that must influence my behaviour, this foreknowledge that I am absolved of my sins irregardless. It's impossible that I can keep the notion from my head that my sins are pre-atoned when I knowingly sin.

In what sort of way am I indicating when I say that this foreknowledge of pre-atonement will influence my behaviour? Let's consider this closely, because this forms the crux of my argument.

By "influencing my behaviour" I specifically mean only in regards to whether or not I choose to engage in the knowingly sinful behaviour at the outset.

If I know I am going to be absolved, and that God will still love me and wrap his ever-lovin' arms around me for eternity so long as I believe he exists (the way the Bible tells us, that is), then would I be more or less easily enticed into "sinful" behaviour, than say Mr. StraightArrow, non-christian, law abiding, never-do-what-he-knows-is-wrong kinda guy?

*takes off the Christian costume, shuddering*

Christians would have us believe, then, that this fellow who goes through life lying, cheating, stealing, what have you, and knowingly he does this sinful behaviour for his entire life compared to Mr. StraightArrow who rarely does anything "sinful" yet does not believe or disbelieve in the Bible, is somehow more righteous in the eyes of God.

When discluding behaviour, as one must do if one is to purport that belief in Christ is all that is needed to win God's favour, the only difference between these two people, then, in the eyes of God, is the notions they carry in their heads about Him. As James Hetfield might say, Nothing Else Matters.
So it's clear to Christians which of these two people is more valuable to God. Is it clear which of these two people is more valuable to society? Crystal clear as well.

My verbose meanderings come down to this: Christians are more likely to sin (than specifically someone who does not know he is forgiven, and suspects he may not be - me), not less likely to sin.

Anyone who can counter this argument, with at least a preponderance of logic favouring the opposing view, please speak up.

(Catholics need not wade in on this argument by any special basis as I can readily extend the absolution of sins from Jesus' sacrifarce, to the local parish priest's pity booths.)

© 2007 Knot4Prophet.com All Rights Reserved. (June 2006)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:53 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The knowledge that Christians are ever-forgiven, I think, may not be the only factor determining someone's behavior. I knew someone when I was in Christian Academy school who "sinned" far more than I did. I doubt the reason was just because he knew he would be forgiven. In my opinion, he was mostly rebelling against the church he went to.

His whole family was deeply religious, to the point where silliness is no longer an apt description of their inane practices, but rather, total insanity. His mother was over-bearing in the sense that she had to control all of her kid's actions via the local church's pastor. In an environment of total control, who wouldn't rebel? Especially since the guy I knew was a teenager; this merely adds to the predilection towards rebellion.

To further expand my musing, I believe that in essence, the Christian religion often keeps it's adherents infantile in issues of the intellect. Part of maturing mentally is being able to think for oneself, to come to conclusions based on one's own reasoning; as well as to be able to question and doubt. We see it in young kid's; they are more inquisitive as they age. With teenagers, they tend to doubt more and often are rebellious. The way I see is that adult Christians, given their dogmatic leanings, never fully developed this level of mental maturity, at least the deeply religious ones. So maybe the reason why Christians are more likely to sin is because of the infantile tendencies that have stuck with them?

Like your example about the Christian man cheating on his wife; we often hear a lot about that on the news. Some pastor of a giant church, or political religious zealot was caught cheating/stealing etc. Perhaps it's not just they think they can get away with it in the end, but perhaps it's a not fully conscious act against the belief system that has dwarfed their intellectual maturity.

Kept to think as children, never question, never doubt, but not quite yet at the teenage stage of rebellion and outright doubt; confined by their dogmatic hyperbole, never fully developing mentally as a healthy adult would.

These, I think, as well as knowledge of ever-forgiveness, could explain why Christians "sin" more than normal people.

However, it would be interesting to see an actual poll or study done on that. How many people who are irreligious doing uncouth deeds against those who are.... but considering, in America at least, the majority are religious proves religious people sin more? :/